Relentless Fuckwittery from @PiltdownSupermn’s ‘Question Evolution Day’ Group
Today Bob has posted something so idiotic on his Facebook group I felt it deserved a point by point run through. Enjoy!
Here is a quick 10-step procedure, using only logic, reason, and known scientific laws, that will get you to God:
Ooooh, goodie! This should be AMAZING!
1) You Are Thinking (obviously!)
Yes, I am, though I sometimes doubt that Creationists like Bob do very much thinking of their own
2) Those Who Think Exist (“I think, therefore I am” — Rene Descartes)
No, you’ve already made a fundamental error. Those who exist think. Existence always comes before anything else. Descartes should have said ‘I am, and I think, which confirms that I am’. It’s all rather complicated, but the bottom line is existence has to exist before anything else can happen.
3) You Exist In Time (time passes while you think)
This is a statement of fact, but it does nothing to progress your argument for the existence of gods, or even your particular version of your particular god.
4) The Outside World Exists (if YOU exist, then other people outside of yourself who are also thinking must exist as well)
Why? That doesn’t follow at all. You might be the only sentient being in a simulation running on some alien supercomputer (a bit like ‘The Truman Show’, but on a universal scale). For all you know the rest of the universe doesn’t exist when you’re not observing it.
So far, it seems to me that the original writer of this (I seriously doubt it was Bob, as it lacks barely concealed rage in every single fucking word) wants to steal from the Objectivist worldview in order to argue against that same worldview!
But hang on, because the naked assertions are due to start any moment!
5) All Events Are Caused (every cause has an effect; a proven scientific law)
Nope. Some events are entirely spontaneous – Google ‘Quantum Vacuum Fluctuations’, or just click here for an excellent article on the subject.
6) Entropy Is Always Increasing (2nd Law of Thermodynamics)
Only in a closed system. An if you consider the ENTIRE UNIVERSE to be a ‘closed system’ then you need to know that, if every molecule in the Universe could be counted, the number would STILL be smaller than the amount of years our Universe has until its final heat death. So point six is entirely meaningless.
7) Therefore, The Universe Is Winding Down (again, 2nd Law of Thermodynamics)
Yes, the Universe will eventually (probably) reach a steady state where nothing at all happens, but that doesn’t mean it’s ‘winding down’! Seriously, Creationists make these claims without thinking about the fact that energetic things begin all the time. There will be many many generations of new suns before the end of time, which is (to put it mildly) inconvenient to the Creationist argument.
8) The Universe Had A Beginning (anything that is winding down must at one point have been wound all the way up)
Yes it did, but it was possibly one of those Quantum Vacuum Fluctuations that caused it. Remember, the net energy of the entire universe is zero…so questions of ‘where did the energy to start the universe come from?’ are utterly meaningless.
9) The Presence Of Motion In The Universe Requires An Original Mover Who Started Everything Moving (Aristotle’s concept of a Prime Mover)
No it doesn’t. Please provide some evidence to support your naked assertion.
10) The Presence of Complexity Requires An Intelligent Designer (entropy makes increased complexity impossible, unless a living intelligence acts on it from outside)
Out and out nonsense.
CONCLUSION: The idea that the entropy of the Universe can decrease on its own (i.e., create complexity) is IMPOSSIBLE! Thus, something OUTSIDE the law of entropy must have started everything! (Again, Aristotle’s Prime Mover)
For those evolutionists who keep asking for scientific evidence that God exists — HERE IT IS!
Where? Seriously, where? You’ve provided no evidence at all to support your claim, and simply stating that you have doesn’t make it so!
You must try harder, Mr Creationist.