REPOST: The Many Inaccuracies of Joe Cienkowski
(first published on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, republished in light of Joe’s continuing BS about the BC/AD dating system)
Joe Cienkowski, Young Earth Creationist, and serial fact denier, has a small number of regular points that he repeats over and over and over on his Twitter feed. Time and time again people with a far better understanding of geology, theology, biology, astronomy, chemistry, and any other -ry you can name, point out that he’s wrong, that he’s singularly failed to understand a basic point about, say, population growth, or evolution, or history.
Does Joe ever learn from this? Does he absorb a single word of knowledge, and adjust his world view accordingly? Does he fuck. Joe is blinded by his monomaniacal ‘faith’ that he’s the ‘most christian’ believer on Earth, the religion’s ‘chief apologist’, and is unwilling to admit that, in most areas, he hasn’t got a clue.
Let’s look, in no particular order, at Joe’s commonly trotted out pearls of wisdom….
- BC/AD dating proves the existence of Jesus – Joe seems unaware that Dennis the Short picked a fairly arbitrary date for the birth of Jesus, based on a guess. To Joe this is nothing short of history being slashed in two by the Son of God. To the rest of us it’s nothing of the sort.
- The Torah is the Oldest Book in the World – this is another regular statement from Joe, one he repeats ad-nauseum despite having been shown, repeatedly, that there are far far older texts. Weirdly, the existence of older books is something Joe will acknowledge, before going back to insisting the Bible to be the oldest the following day
- You only ever see human babies born to humans in hospitals, and this disproves evolution – Joe seems to be under the impression that a chimp had to give birth to a human child at some point for evolution to be a fact.
- There are no transitional fossils – as we’ve seen before on this blog, that’s just bollocks.
- Human Population has decreased by 96% if you go back in time to the Flood – this is a favourite of Joe’s, and is the subject of his
shit pamphletbook ‘The Grand Reality’. Over 19 pages, he explains how a drawing he’s copied from Kent Hovind proves that mankind can not have possibly existed for more than 6000 years. When I told my 14 year old son about this, he looked confused for a moment then asked ‘doesn’t he understand how population growth works?’. The answer is no, Joe hasn’t a clue how populations grow.
- The Bible is 100% inerrant and completely harmonious – even when Joe is shown contradictions he either dismisses them as ‘copyist errors’ (and how is that different from a mistake, exactly) or says they aren’t there at all.
- Atheism is a religion – no it isn’t Joe. Atheism is no more a religion than not playing Dungeons and Dragons is a hobby.
- To accept evolution you have to accept everything came from nothing, not scientific! – Joe seems to be unable to understand that the Big Bang and/or abiogenesis have nothing to do with Evolution. And don’t bother trying to explain that we’re gaining knowledge of how life might have started, Joe doesn’t want to hear it.
- History is wrong, if it contradicts the Bible – there may be 30 independent, non-contradictory external sources that all claim an event happened, but if the Bible is contradicted it’s HISTORY that’s wrong, not the Bible….yeah, right Joe.
- There’s loads of archaeological evidence for the Bible – no there isn’t
- Dinosaurs were just big lizards that lived for hundreds of years – usually he goes on to claim that Chinese dragons, cave paintings, figureheads on ships, and bizarrely, Beowulf (yes, the work of fiction) are evidence of this.
- I love science! – Joe says this regularly, despite the overwhelming evidence that he doesn’t understand science…at all
- Only a fool wouldn’t believe Jesus existed! – Joe claims that there is so much evidence for the existence of a real Jesus that you’d have to be an idiot not to believe in him (he often cites the fact that we have Christmas as evidence). He refuses to acknowledge that, the more you look for Jesus in history, the more he disappears.
- No real Christian could ever become an Atheist – despite the evidence that plenty of Christians become Atheists (I’m one, Michael Shermer is another, Les Ogilvie of The 21st Floor blog another), Joe claims that it’s not the case. Hilariously he makes a classic ‘No True Scotsman’ case, saying that these former Christian Atheists were never Christians at all.
- Hitler was an atheist – really Joe? Have you got THAT desperate?
- Darwin made up the theory of evolution with no evidence – again, even when presented with the evidence Joe refuses to stop repeating this lie.
- Carbon dating is so inaccurate it can’t be trusted – when his critics explain to him that the problems with carbon dating are known, and that’s why we now have far more accurate other forms of radiometric dating, Joe just repeats his initial claim and pretends nothing that contradicts him has been said
- Rocks are dated by the fossils in them, which are in turn dated by the rocks they’re in – Joe claims that the ages of rocks and fossils were worked out via circular reasoning. Again, he ignores any attempts to correct this nonsense.
- The existence of Israel is proof that Jesus existed – no, Joe, it’s proof that self fulfilling prophecies happen.
- Jesus was resurrected, so the Bible is true! – obviously Mr C fails to understand that his using of the Bible as the evidence for this is entirely circular – ‘I believe the Bible is true because the Bible says it’s true’. He trots this one out regularly when being cornered about history containing almost nothing of the events outlined in both the Old and New Testaments.
- Abiogenesis is just Spontaneous Generation renamed – another massive lie that has been corrected many times, yet Joe keeps spewing it out.
- Coelacanth was thought to be extinct but lives! – yes, it does Joe, but it’s changed quite significantly. Also, since when has a creature living in a stable, unchanging environment not changing beyond recognition proof that Creationism is true?
I’ve probably forgotten a few, but by now you’ll be feeling your brain clogging up with the sheer stupidity of the man.
I think people get so frustrated with Joe Cienkowski because he’s so wilfully ignorant, and refuses to learn from those who know better….it doesn’t help that he’s so massively arrogant and quick to scoff at those he disagrees with.
If I’ve missed anything out, feel free to add it in the comments