Creationists: Still Lying After All These Years.
I’d not had a look at the Joe Cienkowski Fantasy Feed for a while, so was most amused to read the above today. Joe is one of those creationists who’s very keen on repeating various hoaxes such as Piltdown Man as a way of discrediting the whole Theory of Evolution. He, and others like him, seem to think that all the evidence, all the overwhelming, factual, evidence is fraudulent, and that lying scientists will stop at nothing to push their ‘atheist agenda’.
So I got to thinking, is there a list of hoaxes committed by creationists? And if not, why not? Turns out there’s rather a lot of faked ‘evidence’ for creationism (the EVC forum threw a lot of these up)…
- Elizabeth Hope Darwin deathbed recantation hoax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Hope
- Peppered Moth ‘hoax’ hoax http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/photo_database/image/the_peppered_moth/
- Woolly Mammoths snap frozen during the flood http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/1640/
- ˜The Japanese trawler Zuiyo Maru caught a dead plesiosaur near New Zealand.’ http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/1854/
- Darwin’s quote about eye evolution in Origin of Species. http://www.noanswersingenesis.org.au/darwin_eye_quote_revisited.htm
- Intelligent design as a hoax http://www.textbookleague.org/id-hx-1.htm
- Carl Baugh Fossilized Hammer Found in 100-Million-Year Old Rock http://www.epicidiot.com/evo_cre/carl_baugh.htm#hammer
- Carl Baugh Giant Human Skeleton http://www.epicidiot.com/evo_cre/carl_baugh.htm#giant_human_skeleton
- Clifford Burdick, William Meister Trilobites in footprints http://www.badarchaeology.net/data/ooparts/antelope.php http://toarchive.org/faqs/paluxy/meister.html
- Duane Gish Various falsehoods. http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/gish.html
- Missing Day hoax http://www.creationtips.com/long_day.html
- Numerous sightings of Noah’s Ark http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CH/CH500.html
- The Paluxy River Prints http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1988/PSCF9-88Hastings.html
- Practically everything in the ‘Creation Evidence Museum’ http://www.creationevidence.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=11
- Ron Wyat t, a One Man Bullshit Machine – Noah’s Ark , Ark of the Covenant , Chariot Wheels from Pharaoh’s army , Sodom and Gomorrah , The real Mt Sinai , Noah’s house , The tablet of the 10 commandments, Actual BLOOD of Jesus – seriously, this dude could populate this entire list on his own with the amount of crap he’s come up with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Wyatt
- Oded Golan, faker of antiquities, including the James Ossuary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oded_Golan
- Moses Shapira, forger of many Biblical items http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Shapira
- Kent Hovind and Ken Ham – ‘dinosaurs lived with people’, less a hoax, more an outright, barefaced lie
I’m sure there are a lot more, but this is quite a list already, easily outnumbering the frauds on the other side of the argument. It seems that Creationists are either a rather dishonest bunch, or attract the dishonest (maybe because of the way Creationists are easily lead?). Either way, next time a Creationist claims that accepters of Evolution make stuff up, point them at this list.
And if you come across any that I’ve missed, please comment and I’ll add them.